Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Cold Shoulder

I climbed the mountain
cold and hard
there I found nothing but
empty wind
and the tattered treasures
of pilgrims

You were not there
waiting as the frozen air
filled my lungs with pain
Why did I make this journey?

The mountain knows my
only victory is this single moment
of life escaping in a misty cloud
of breath, and nothing more
There is no flag to plant with joy
in this barren wasteland
and there is no time to make it
out before the darkness falls

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

An yet, while you gazed about in your solitude
You never noticed those below you
Admiring and Reveling in your Strength, your Purpose;
A beacon of Hope standing above us,
Beckoning us to where we can only wish to be.

GHAJR

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful...one of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

I love this poem. It reminds me of the years I wasted in a dead-end relationship. Looking back, I should have left long before I did - but when you're in love, it's difficult to see the other side. Thank you for sharing your amazing gifts. This one made me cry.