Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Love Letters

Have you ever received a love letter? I don’t mean the electronic kind. Or even one typed on a computer and printed out. I mean a real honest-to-goodness hand written love letter.

Back in the old days (25 years ago) before we had all the electronic gizmos we have now, people took the time to sit down and write letters.

My mom still sends me handwritten letters from time to time. But other than that, I can’t tell you the last time I received a handwritten letter. It must be hard times for the fine stationers of the world. I remember getting stationery every year for my birthday. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a box of stationery.

This all makes me a little sad. Electronic letters can't be kept in a drawer and looked at 40 years down the road. On the other hand, a hand written letter is a treasure. Seeing the words on the page in the writer's own handwriting makes the letter more meaningful. Long after a person is gone, his handwriting remains as confirmation of his existence and individuality.

Most women would agree, that a handwritten love letter is worth more than a room full of roses or a truck load of chocolate. But in the end, it is the sentiment behind the letter, even if it's electronic, that really matters. Words from the heart are dear no matter what format they're in.

The History Channel website has a great article about the history of Valentine’s Day. Interesting to know where all the madness came from.

Happy Valentine’s Day.

http://www.historychannel.com/exhibits/valentine/?page=history

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post has encouraged me to sign off and write a letter today. Thank you.

W.M. Turner said...

Thanks Sonya. I appreciate your comments!